The Old Free Church

The first free church in Avoch was built in 1846 at Bennetsfield on a site given by John Matheson. After James Fletcher took over the Rosehaugh Estate in 1864, he offered another site to the Free Church congregation at Gallowhill for a feu duty of one shilling and with a donation of £500, but with the condition that he would submit the design. The congregation was urged to accept this offer and Alexander Ross, an architect from Inverness (who also designed Inverness Cathedral) was commissioned in 1872 to build a church in Italianate style with a square tower at the north east end. The church was opened on 6 August 1873 with Rev. John McKerchar as minister.

With the union of the Free Church and United Presbyterian Church in 1900, the church became the United Free Church. It continued as this until the union of the United Free Church with the Church of Scotland in 1929 when it was named Avoch South Church.

In May 1930 the ministry became vacant and it was suggested by the presbytery that the Avoch South Church should amalgamate with the Avoch Parish Church. There was opposition to this and services continued in the church until October 1932 when the Presbytery finally dissolved the congregation. The congregation became divided with some joining the Parish Church, others the Congregational and a few attending the Brethren Assembly in Avoch.

The church building and site reverted back to the Rosehaugh Estate. In 1937 Mrs Lilian Fletcher gave the building to the Avoch community to use as a village hall. It was used for this purpose until the early 1980s when the present Community Centre was built. The building and site were bought privately in 1986 when it was converted to a private dwelling.